Saturday, July 21, 2012

Very Late, But Here is My Portrait



This week's challenge, due last Sunday (7/15) was mine (Laura McHugh West). The challenge was to create a portrait of someone and embellish the background with things that person is about.


I chose to study my friend Mia. She is Persian and a beautiful woman. Strong, with decisive opinions, and a very good heart. I love her a lot.


I started by painting her face on a large (15x22) piece of watercolor paper. I'm not very good with portraits or watercolor, so I used a photo of her to lay down the basic proportions. I did that by tracing over the photo on the paper with a blunt object. That gave me a basic idea of where to do the outline.


It is surprising how much even a small change in the dimensions of a cheek, eye or hair style can change the look of a person.


Many friends who also know Mia saw my initial drawing, here, and recognized her. One person commented that her eyes are very souful, so I knew I had captured the essence of my friend Mia, because she does have very beautiful eyes. This is not the completed Mia, becuase I still had to finish her hair. I wanted to do the background first to be sure to keep the colors all in balance.






Mia is Persian so I wanted to start the background with a Persian tiled theme. I painted squares in watercolor as though she was standing up against a tiled wall. I also did some on her eyes and hair using a blue black for the hair and Inktense watercolor pencils on the eyes to maintain a bit more control. I went over the eyes with a small brush with some water on it.




I did more work on the background which then seemed too bright for what I wanted to do over it, which was put things I know Mia likes in the square so I covered it with a wash of opaque white paint mixed with just enough water to thin it  out so the background showed through a bit.




For the embellishments, I chose inspirational sayings my friend posts on her Facebook page. I find them soothing and wise and they reflect who she is - wise, kind, gentle. I tried to mimic the fonts used on the Facebook images, then added some small whimsical drawings to finish it off.

I hope you enjoy Mia's portrait. This was a challenging challenge because it is not good when you don't get someone's likeness in a flattering way, but I believe Mia will be happy with the results and the lesson for me is even when you are afraid, dive in and see what happens!




1 comment:

  1. Nice work, Laura McHugh West!
    I've been watching this piece unfold and am really liking where you ended up and the story of how you got there.
    The words are very inspiring as well. I enjoyed reading each saying.
    Thanks for the inspiration.
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete