Sunday, March 25, 2012

Recycling Furniture

I picked the challenge for this week, I think because I remembered I had this project sitting in my room for a couple of years. If I made it a challenge, I might get it done.

My sister-in-law gave me this little trunk. It's kinda cute the way it is, but not my style. I've been trying to figure out what to do with it ever since she gave it to me. Last year I was at a craft faire and my neighboring vendor had all these super cute little suitcases holding her stuff, but they were distressed and old looking. She told me she would buy the pieces at TJMaxx and then just paint them with regular off-white paint. 


I decided to do that with my little trunk and my personal goal for this project was to not buy anything to do it.


I had the trunk, so major mission accomplished. I bought paint samples last week to paint my front door; this slightly lavender colored paint would have to do. I wiped down the trunk to remove the dust, then took an old paintbrush and painted away. I didn't worry too much about getting paint on the handles - I figured I could just sand or scrape off the paint.

Here's the trunk after I used my little hand sander to distress the paint after it dried. It only took one coat of the lavender paint.


Here's a close-up of the handle after I sanded it and removed some of the paint. 

I had painted and sanded it and still wasn't sure what to put on the outside of the container. I had a ticket that I had to cash in earlier in the weekend, so travel was on my mind. I was also working on another art project that involved using some travel stickers, so there was the inspiration - a travel trunk!

I had a few good stickers, but needed more so I "googled" luggage sticker images and found these four that fit my need. I just printed them out on my color printer on regular paper.

I used Golden acrylic medium varnish to adhere them to the trunk after cutting around them closely with scissors.



Here's the finished trunk. I did a bit more distressing of the decals on the trunk to make it look more authentic.  It makes me excited to take my trip to France this Fall, though I will probably stick with a regular small suitcase!






No comments:

Post a Comment