Sunday, March 4, 2012

Up cycling/Recycling/Reclaiming - New Growth/Spring

This week it is my turn (Laura McHugh  East!) and I wanted us to get into the recycling mode...so I asked that we create a piece of art using recycled materials and you may include color with any type of medium you like... (such as crayon, color pencil, paint, pastels, etc...)


Love love love using recycling as much as possible and I am trying to teach this to all my art students...so while I was having my art classes make wooden recycled people I thought I would make one as well.

Very Lucky to have a great wood shop teacher in our school who shares all her scrap wood, so this is where our lesson starts.....


Create a wooden abstract person out of RECYCLED wooden pieces.



gather scrap pieces of wood, all shapes and sizes...I like to have a larger background piece to glue all your pieces onto.  Arrange them however you want. Then sand and paint.

I love to paint the background, then all of my pieces trying to add detail and pattern....

These were attached to background piece that was cut up from school play scraps....

Wanted to add some kind of crazy hair so I used my new

Paper Shredder Scissors

 that cuts paper into little strips...so I cut up old book pages recycled from school Library books.....


These are so cool...... saves time and makes all cuts perfect....

Added the strips as hair and  bangs......with mod-podge...

Wanted to some how add some of my vintage trims and buttons....to soften up this all wood project...

Well here she is....

Just love her...isn't she cute.....have to think of a good name for her, but for now I will enjoy looking at her....

No comments:

Post a Comment