Sunday, March 4, 2012

Recycling - Renewal

The challenge this week from my pal to the East was to create a piece of art using recycled materials and you may include color with any type of medium you like... (such as crayon, color pencil, paint, pastels, etc...).


I was doing other art on Friday for Bad Art Night and made this painting.



The painting itself was a recycle. I'd done a sketch a few weeks ago for a class on a large piece of watercolor paper. 


The sketch wasn't what was needed for that class, so I started Friday by applying a coat of gesso over the paper so as not to waste it. Then I applied a background of watercolor in pink.


I used my favorite liquid watercolors by Dr. Ph Martins.

I used pen and ink brushes to add depth to the blue flowers and punched out some pomegranate drawer paper given to me by a friend to make the centers of the flowers. I used a white out pen for the centers of the smaller blue flowers.


When I finished the painting, I thought it was rather hideous. I liked the flowers but not the male and female figures. So, I cut the painting up, thinking I would make bookmarks out of the smaller strips.



I was thinking about what to make for this week's challenge when it occurred to me the paper would be fun made into a three-dimensional piece. For some reason, a small house came to mind so I used washi tape to finish off the roof piece, and to join the bookmark sized pieces into a base for the roof.

 

I was really happy with the shape of the house, but when I imported the photo of it onto my computer, I felt it could be improved by using Photoshop to add a blue sky and some clouds behind it and two kissing birds in the snowy foreground.

I love the bright colors and the feel of the watercolor paper in three dimensions. I think I will do more with my bookmark-sized pieces from other projects. They remind me of building houses from playing cards as a child.
 





No comments:

Post a Comment