Sunday, June 3, 2012

Windmills

This month's theme is the sun and power. This week's challenge was windmills, as chosen by me (Laura McHugh West).

First, let me admit that I love windmills. The engineer side of me marvels at the way the invisible wind is magically converted to power. The artist side of me loves their size and presence and sheer beauty.


In California, I live not too far from a large wind generating field called Altamont Pass. There are several different kinds of windmills to be found there: the tradition windmill with 4 blades, the Darrieus Rotor (Wind Turbine) that looks like a beater in a mixer and the Savonius wind turbine.


In 2003, I painted some wind turbines from photos taken by my then 7-year old daughter. Her whimsy, lack of careful-ness with the camera angles and a great sense of style provided some wonderful images for me to work from.


This weekend, I went out of town, so I dug up these photographs of my 9 year-old oil paintings for this challenge. Looking at these images, which were some of the first serious paintings I ever did, I realize I still love windmills - for their engineering marvel and their artistic beauty.





No comments:

Post a Comment